Sunday, June 06, 2010

Medals anyone?

Choose the words from the list below which best complete each of the following sentences. Then, explain the meaning of the informal expressions originated from sports lingo.
(Worth 3 medals):


hard - left - pool - score - tackle - touch - towel

1. The boss refused to give the employees a raise. I think it's time to play ____________ ball and threaten to quit.

2. I exercise every day and eat all the right things, but I just can't seem to lose weight. I'm ready to throw in the ____________.

3. I was having a nice conversation with Julie and then suddenlyshe started yelling at me for something I did ten years ago. That certainly came out of ____________ field.

4. Robert let all the air out of my tires so that I would be late for my job interview. Then, he went to the interview himself and got hired! That was dirty ____________.

5. We need to bring in more money for the company. If we ____________ this together, I know we can find a solution to this problem.

6. I need to leave for the airport right away. Let's talk later. I'll ____________ base with you tonight.

7. Can you believe what Ernie did? He tried to ____________ with my mother!

2 comments:

Ana Beatriz said...

Hi,

it's nice to see a new post here.

Well, let me try:

1. hard - if you play hardball you behave in an agressive and threatening way so that you get what you want.

2. towel - if you throw in the towel you give up, you quit something.

3. left - if something comes out of left field, it is a completely different topic and has nothing to do with the matter being discussed.

4. pool - dirty pool refers to unfair or dishonest conduct.

5. tackle - to tackle means to deal with something.

6. touch - to touch base is to talk to somebody.

7. score - if you score with person means you get something from that person. I guess in the example you gave it could mean Ernie tried to seduce the speaker's mother.

Am I correct?


Cheers,

Bia

Levi Ramos said...

Bia, you're simply unbeatable!
What can I say? Three shiny ones for you! You've earned them!

Keep on blogging!
Levi