Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Key word transformations - Part 2 - 6 medals to the first to get all the correct answers!

1. They think that Helen's brother stole the money.
suspected
Helen's brother ....................................... the money.

2. I feel completely exhausted when I've listened to Marion for half-an-hour.
leaves
Half-an-hour ........................................ completely exhausted.

3. Karen's schoolwork definitely seems to be improving this term..
signs
Karen's schoolwork ........................................ this term.

4. The old railway station is now a museum.
turned
The old railway station ........................................ a museum.

7 comments:

Diogo Kubrusly said...

I'm gonna try...

1. is suspected of stealing
2. listening to Marion leaves me
3. is showing signs
4. was turned into

Ana Carol said...

1- is suspected of having stolen
2- listening to Marion leaves me
3- has shown signs of improvement
4- was turned into

Levi Ramos said...

Carol, you will get your 6 medals, since your answers are 95% correct in my point of view.

However, You would have gotten 6 points only out of 8 in Paper 3 part 4, since numbers 3 and 4 are only partially correct...

The best answer to #3 is:
SHOWS signs of improvement
Why? I'll give anyone an extra medal if they can explain that.

As to #4, the best answer is:
HAS BEEN turned into
Why? Y'all tell me, and an extra medal will be coming your way too!

Diogo, You'll get 2 medals for being the first to answer numbers 1+2 correctly, OK?

You guys ROCK BIG TIME!!!
Carry on!!!

Lina Karoblyte said...

Guys, you´re too fast!!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGHH
Anyway, #4, we have to use the participle form of present perfect because we don´t know when it was done in the past:))), we just have the result now:))
I hope I´m right :))

Levi Ramos said...

That is correct, Lina! According to normative grammar, A sentence in the past simple would require the inclusion of any time marker, whose function would be to define exactly when the action was completed.
You are a medalist now! Welcome to the hall of notability!!!

Keep on blogging! And remember to explain the correct answer for #3 as well! That goes for everyone else too!!

Analu said...

Why on earth do you rush to your Pcs and don´t let me blog in first???? It´s driving me mad!

Levi Ramos said...

LOL. Ana, stay alert! I am going to post a Carnival challenge worth a number of medals!!!

Cheers and Happy Carnival!!!